Note about Volunteering in Light of COVID-19
In an effort to reduce the transmission of COVID-19, Rebuilding Together South Sound is taking measures to protect the health of our homeowners, volunteers, contractors, and staff. For the near future, we will be adjusting our typical volunteer experience so that we can continue to make a difference for our homeowners, leverage our amazing volunteers, and abide by health recommendations. We plan to:
- Limit volunteer team sizes in accordance with Washington State group gathering guidelines,
- Focus primarily on outdoor projects and limit the number of people completing interior work, and
- Follow guidance for face masks and sanitation, providing items to volunteers as needed.
Current Volunteer Jobs
We have homeowners who need help with home repairs now! Check back each month for updates on available projects.
- Sign up here to help Christina in Spanaway! Project includes plumbing repairs, recaulk tub, install 3 grab bars, replace broken lock, secure handrail, install smoke detectors and CO detector.
- Sign up here to help Hiltrud in Parkland! Project includes plumbing repairs, replace door handle, clean and reattach gutters, and replace handrail.
- Sign up here to help Claire in Puyallup! Project includes building a new deck, installing weatherstripping, replacing bathroom flooring, and repairing siding.
You can take on a whole project or part of what's listed at a house. These projects are in addition to the projects we will host for our monthly [Re]Builds. Find that schedule here!
If you're in construction or interested in joining us as a project leader, this is the sign up for you. Project details and locations will be shared after sign up.
Sign up to join us on a monthly [Re]Build project. Dates and locations will be announced closer to the project date.
In addition to our monthly [Re]Builds, we host several signature [Re]Builds throughout the year. These are sponsor-focused events. You can learn more about joining us as a sponsor by emailing Kim Taylor at email@example.com.
National Rebuilding Day - Since April 2002, sponsor teams join volunteer contractors to create an impactful, transformative day of service. We plan to have sponsors and volunteers join us at 20 homes throughout the South Sound each year. We've also leveraged the power of National Rebuilding Day to host She Builds projects, focused on serving women homeowners with women-led teams, and Strengthening Neighborhoods events, focused on beautifying one Tacoma neighborhood and connecting them with community resources.
Volunteer sign up for National Rebuilding Day is available in March with priority given to sponsor team volunteers!
RampUp! - Each October, volunteers head to local home to build wheelchair ramps for our neighbors in need. These ramps truly transform the lives of these homeowners; they can freely leave their homes for doctor's appointments, visits with family, and trips to the store. Typically, 5 ramps are built in a single day by 5 teams.
Volunteer sign up for RampUp! is available in September!
Veterans Projects - Join us as we honor our local veterans by having a [Re]Build day just for them. Teams work with contractors to provide home modifications and repairs for low-income veterans. The project scopes will vary based on the individual veterans needs. We host two project days each year - one in November for Veterans Day and one in February for our Valentines with Veterans project.
Volunteer sign up is available in September for November projects and December for February projects!